24 August, 2018

Amongst the most obscure of obscure Krautrock...

Zoppo Trump - Zoppo Trump
(Garden of Delights CD154)
Zoppo Trump first came to our attention via their two tracks Wellengang and Fluktuation on the SCENA WESTFALICA album, which were infinitely superior to anything else on the LP (included on this disc as the last two tracks). This CD documents the earlier roots of the Dortmund band with two tracks from 1971 and five from '72.
The opening Man Of Peace is a tasty piece of spacey prog, in vaguely Eloy, Satin Whale type realms, whereas Queen Of War is raunchier, with the singer reminding me a little of Bernd Noske from Birth Control. Not bad. The 1972 recordings after this cover more styles. Get Out Of The Fixer Circle and the following Confusion have a slightly Subject Esq. and Think feel about them. These also remind me many other such German bands, and of someone British, Skin Alley I think. The next few tracks are also all pretty good. Yet it never quite gets to that standard that makes it special enough for me. That said, the centre section of the 11 minute Dream Of Hope gets pretty tasty. I guess if I kept all albums I liked as much as this I'd have CD shelves covering every wall of the house!
Finally we have the two tracks I heard first. In "The Crack In The Cosmic Egg" I say that Zoppo Trump pre-empted EILEEN era Streetmark (and a feel similar to some of the Pyramid label artists), but with an all instrumental concoction with jazzy and classical touches. I guess so, although listening to these tracks now they feel more like mid period Thirsty Moon to me. Maybe next time I'll think differently again?
- review from Audion #58
- current Garden Of Delights stocks at the UT Discogs Shop


No comments:

Post a Comment